We all have strange requests when we go into restaurants: low-calorie fried chicken, biscuits with no dough, croque monsieur without ham. Some are stranger than others. Here are some of the odder requests we’ve heard this week:
- Capitol Hill’s Good Stuff Eatery regularly receives requests for a burger without the beef. So just a bun and toppings.
- Seasons in Georgetown has a guest who orders a scrambled egg yolk only for breakfast.
- Anonymous restaurant: “Attention all brunch diners: when the menu says ‘3 eggs any way, it doesn’t mean one scrambled, one poached and one fried. #YesSomeoneOrderedThat.” This tweet came from Chef Tiffany MacIsaac @TiffMacisaac, but this incident didn’t happen at one of Neighborhood Restaurant Group’s places. This order is actually genius.
- At El Mariachi, an underrated restaurant in Rockville, two guests ordered a seafood chimichanga not deep-fried. Isn’t that a burrito?
- Poste Moderne Brasserie in Penn Quarter had a guest ask to borrow stock pots to make a drum for a wedding, a request for an omelet with no eggs, and steak tartare…well done.
Looks like Poste’s Chef Dennis Marron is a man to have on your side. “I say yes to everything and I appreciate the challenge,” he said. “I will always do what I can to make a guest happy. For the guy requesting the pots for a drum, we actually gave him a couple 5 gallon buckets!”
Tricia is a native Washingtonian, born and raised in Columbia Heights. She loves DC so much that she was only able to leave the city for one year after college and immediately came running back. She’s lived in Navy Yard for the last few years and is excited to see all the new restaurants finally moving into the neighborhood. Tricia works in PR during the day, and spends her nights trying out new restaurants in DC with friends or watching The Good Wife, Scandal, Bones and Grey’s Anatomy. A couple of years ago Tricia decided to eat at all of the 100 Very Best Restaurants until she realized she would be old and broke by the time she finished. Unfortunately, part of that fate might still come true due to her obsession with Uber.